This roasted pink pepper and tomato soup is greater than only a recipe—it’s a celebration of the top of the summer season warmth. It’s the choice in between gazpacho and creamy tomato soup. Because the temperature lastly calms down, I implore you to make this soup with the final ripe bell peppers and tomatoes.
This beautiful, gentle soup is barely spicy. It tastes extra strongly of roasted pink peppers than tomatoes, and the sunshine smokiness brings Spanish delicacies to thoughts. It’s vegan as written, although you actually add cream for a creamier soup. Maybe the most effective factor about this soup is that it freezes nicely for later.
I initially shared this recipe over ten years in the past on a wet day with my canine, Cookie, by my aspect. It’s nonetheless certainly one of my favorites, and revisiting it brings these moments again to life. I actually miss my pup.
We’re rising each peppers and tomatoes in our yard backyard this 12 months, although not sufficient to make a correct batch of this soup. Grace’s favourite factor to do is, “Decide some ’matoes,” and she or he checks for extra cherry tomatoes at the very least twice a day. She pops them straight into her mouth and might’t get sufficient.
Make Purple Pepper and Tomato Soup
You’ll discover the complete recipe under, however the mainly, you’ll first roast the entire produce on two baking sheets—tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, and garlic. Then, you’ll carry vegetable broth to a boil, add the entire roasted veggies, and simmer for about 10 minutes to meld the flavors. Lastly, mix the soup with an immersion blender or stand blender.
Make This Soup Your Personal
This pink pepper and tomato soup is splendidly flavorful and light-weight as written. Listed here are a few variations that you simply may get pleasure from as nicely.
Make it creamy: For a extra creamy texture and mellow taste, mix some heavy cream or half and half into the soup (see the recipe notes for instructed quantities). Or, you possibly can serve particular person bowls with a drizzle of cream, or a dollop of bitter cream or vegan bitter cream.
Add recent basil: For much more garden-fresh taste, add anyplace between 5 to fifteen recent basil leaves to the blender on the finish. Begin with 5, mix, and add extra if desired.
Watch Make Purple Pepper & Tomato Soup
Freeze Soup for Later
This soup yields a big batch and freezes nicely. I like to recommend freezing soup in glass canning jars. Fill them no additional than the freezer line (they want at the very least one inch of room on the high for growth). Calmly screw the lids on, freeze totally, after which end screwing the lids on (in any other case, strain will construct through the freezing course of).
To defrost, switch the jar to the fridge in a single day. I really like to make use of small, half-pint canning jars for freezing single servings of soup, which defrost extra rapidly than bigger containers.
What to Serve with Roasted Purple Pepper and Tomato Soup
I’ll vouch that this soup goes nice with grilled cheese sandwiches and easy quesadillas. For a dairy-free possibility, attempt my hummus quesadillas. I additionally find it irresistible with avocado toast and mainly any inexperienced salad.
Extra Warming Soups to Make
Listed here are only a few extra of my favourite tomato-based soups and stews on Cookie and Kate. These are all designed for canned tomatoes slightly than recent.
View extra soup and stew recipes right here. As all the time, please let me understand how your recipe seems within the feedback! I really like listening to from you.
Roasted Purple Pepper and Tomato Soup
- Prep Time: quarter-hour
- Cook dinner Time: 55 minutes
- Complete Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: About 12 cups 1x
- Class: Soup
- Methodology: Varied
- Delicacies: Spanish-inspired
- Weight loss program: Vegan
Roasted pink pepper and tomato soup to have a good time the top of summer season warmth. Make a large batch to freeze for cooler climate! Recipe yields plenty of soup (about 12 cups), and leftovers freeze nicely.
- 8 to 9 medium tomatoes (about 5 kilos), cored and quartered
- 3 pink bell peppers (about 1 pound), seeded and quartered
- 2 small yellow onions, reduce into wedges about ¾” broad on the outer edges
- 2 tablespoons additional virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 4 cups (32 ounces) vegetable broth
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (omit if delicate to spice)
- Nice salt and freshly floor black pepper, to style
- Preheat your oven to 375 levels Fahrenheit with racks within the higher third and center of the oven. Line two massive, rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the tomatoes on one of many ready baking sheets. Place the bell peppers and onions on the opposite baking sheet. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over every baking sheet.
- Gently toss the tomatoes till flippantly coated in oil, then place the tomatoes so the pores and skin sides are going through down. Put aside.
- Gently toss the onions and pink peppers till they’re flippantly coated in oil (attempt to hold the onion wedges intact as finest you possibly can). Place the pink peppers with the pores and skin sides going through down. Place the unpeeled garlic cloves on the sheet, too.
- Place the tomatoes on the highest rack of the oven and the peppers and onion on the center rack. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, till the greens are tender all through and turning properly golden on the perimeters.
- When the greens are carried out, carry the vegetable broth to boil in a big soup pot over medium-high warmth. Peel your garlic and toss it in. Add the roasted greens, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, if utilizing, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Simmer for 10 minutes, decreasing warmth as needed to take care of a gentle simmer.
- Purée the soup utilizing an immersion blender or switch the soup to a blender in batches, a number of cups at a time. Season to style with salt (I added one other ½ teaspoon) and pepper. This soup retains nicely, coated and refrigerated, for 4 days within the fridge, or within the freezer for as much as 6 months.
Make it creamy possibility: Add 2 tablespoons heavy cream or ¼ cup half and half to the soup for a extra creamy texture and mellow taste (add extra to style). Or, serve bowls with a dollop of bitter cream or vegan bitter cream.
Basil variation: Add anyplace between 5 to fifteen recent basil leaves to the blender (begin with much less, style, and add extra as desired).
▸ Diet Data
Did you make this recipe?